On Fri, 16 May 2008, Brenner, Aaron L wrote:

> To add to Joe's OS-specific list:
>
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/ is the place for the Solaris version of what Carol's message describes.

Sorry -- I got tied up in package manager type programs ...

Aaron's right -- Sun Freeware is probably a better fit for what was
specifically described.

If we want to start getting into those sort of sites, I'd also add the
following, which for the most part just serve (or just link to) binaries,
but serve as catalogs of software:

        Download.com (Mac, Windows, PDAs, web-based))
        Tucows.com (Mac, Windows, Linux, PDAs, Web-based services)
        VersionTracker.com (Mac, Windows, Palm)

There's probably other stuff out there, too.  I personally prefer
downloading from the authoritative source, but if no one finds you, it
doesn't matter how good your software is.

There are some sites that just track specific types of software (eg, the
former Happy Puppy, which had game previews & demos before they stopped &
started redirecting to a search engine optimization company.)  Or, for the
type of stuff on topic here, oss4lib:

        http://www.oss4lib.org/

(again, some of these just link, more as a catalog, while others are
repositories)

I'm probably leaving out lots of other similar sites ... I'm just listing
the ones that I've used in the past.  (and most, I haven't used in years)

-Joe