I think you start with a smaller set, but then when you find
idiosyncratic records that were NOT represented in your smaller set, you
add representative samples to the sample set. The sample set organically
grows.

Certainly at some point you've got to test on a larger set too. But I
think there's a lot of value in having a small test set too. Of course,
it is something of a challenge to even come up with a reasonably
representative small set. But it doesn't need to be absolutely
representative---when you find examples not represented, you add them.
It grows.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind