I agree that showing the user evaluative resources that are not any good
is not a service to the user. When there are no good evaluative
resources available, we should not show bad ones to the user.

In either case though, with or without evaluative resources, we tell the
user where the book is located on the shelves.

[And in most library contexts I am familiar with, that is NOT accurately
descirbed as "right over there". Perhaps you are familiar with other
sorts of libraries then I. In a large urban public library system or
just about ANY academic library, this is just as likely to be: "in the
library, but you are sitting at home right now, which could be a mile
away or could be two states away", "in another building [which may be
miles away]", "checked out to a user, but you can recall it if you
like", "in this building three floors and 200 meters away", or "not in
our system at all right now but you can ILL it."  So I'm having problems
with your continued assertions that the book is "right over there" for a
user consulting the OPAC.  Not neccesarily in a majority of the cases
for my users, or the users of most other libraries I am familiar with.]

I certainly agree that making it easier to find a book on the shelves is
another enhancement we should be looking at. I think it was David Walker
who had a nice OPAC feature that actually gave you a map, with hilighted
path, from your computer terminal (if you were sitting in the library,
which again is probably a _minority_ of our opac use), to the book on
the shelves. That's awfully cool.

And in either case, with or without extra evaluative metadata, with or
without an interactive map showing you were the book is---in the end
it's the user's choice of whether to obtain the book or not. Our job is,
indeed, giving them good and useful and accurate evaluative information
to aid in this selection process. If you suggest that Google metadata is
NOT good and useful and accurate metadata, that's legitimate.  But you
started out, to my reading, suggesting that Table of Contents, reviews,
and links to other editions could not possibly be useful, and I still
take exception to that.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind