James Tuttle wrote:
> Trying to port my Linux experience to Solaris 10 makes my brain bleed
> some days.  I'd recommend, and this is probably too onerous for the
> original poster, installing OpenSolaris in a virtual machine if the
> installation route seems viable.  The differences between Solaris (or
> #@$%@# Solaris!, as we affectionately call it) and Linux are pretty
> great.  However, installing a distro inside VirtualBox is probably a
> little more advanced than the OP may be prepared for.

At a former job, long, long ago I was a unix systems administrator for a
small company (long before that I was a unix system administrator for a
very large company) that developed some software products which ran on
various versions of unix.  As a result we had hardware from many
different vendors to run the various versions of unix.  If I recall
correctly I supported machines running 8 different flavors of unix, all
of which were slightly different.  Linux was barely on the radar at the
time so it wasn't one of them.

*Most* of the command line commands one needs are essentially the same
and have their roots with old BSD systems or System V.