The Recaptcha device specifically also provides an audio test. But point
taken, even so it could prevent accessibility challenges.

Nevertheless, when my system is currently receiving around one software
powered spam per minute, I need a quick pre-built drop-in solution to
this; I don't have time to write my own AI!  If you have any other free
or affordable pre-built drop-in solutions to spam protection to suggest,
this would be a great forum to do so!

My particular situation isn't even a web forum---it's a comment form
that does nothing but send email to librarians. But the spam bots don't
know that, and are sending 1 spam per minute to it.  "Pre-moderation" is
not a solution; that's what we're doing now, but we can't afford to hire
an FTE just to seperate our actual user feedback from spam!

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer