Jon,

The conference and the journal are run fairly differently (did anybody
from the journal get back to you?).  The journal's actually organized
(from what I can tell).  It uses WordPress

The conference, on the other hand, uses a crazy mish-mash of things
that changes from year to year.  CfPs are handled by email (which I
would really like to see changed this year, since invariably one or
two gets lost and they're formatted all crazily differently).  These
are then put into a custom voting "machine" (the first year it was a
Backpack page and a bookmarklet, last year a standalone RoR
application) and the voting is open for a period of time.  We haven't,
to date, used the Drupal voting module (although it comes up every
year) because nobody has gotten it to work satisfactorily for
presentations.

The voting applications, I might add, haven't been without their share
of criticism.

At some point, I think a dedicated 'conference application' is
necessary for Code4lib, something that can take submissions, vote on
them, build the conference schedule and host the videos, as well as
deal with delegates and whatnot.  Last year's voting booth (nicknamed
ConferenceKeeper) was designed to do this sort of work, but it really
needs some sort of official blessing or alternative.

Speaking of alternatives, have you looked at Open Conference System:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs
?

Good luck,
-Ross.