if i understood correctly, you already create urls like
http://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/record?id=1234565.
since cool urls are the ones that  don't change, you will still have
to support these. so i'd think an easy way to support the even cooler
http://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/record/123456 would be to use something
like apache's mod_rewrite
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_rewrite.html) assuming you
use apache in front of whatever serves your java code.
regards,
robert