I renamed our input for e-mail address from '<input name="email">' to
something pretty generic, and the bots that hit us immediately stopped
supplying valid addresses for that input, so that's easy to catch.

Then as an experiment, I put '<input name="email">' back in, inside a
comment.  Sure enough, the bots see it and stick and address there,
which is even easier to catch.  So it isn't just a WordPress thing.

Now if I could just return an HTTP status that meant "Go #%@! yourself".

Thomas Dowling