On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Thomas Dowling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Now if I could just return an HTTP status that meant "Go #%@! yourself".

That's more or less what 403 means[1]. In fact, returning:

with a 403 status code would, I think, be the RFC-compliant way to
tell the spammer to stick it where the sun don't shine ;-)

The bots might get the message better from a 404, though. I mean,
insofar as bots pay any attention whatsoever to the response your
server sends back to them... :P

-n

[1] "403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing
to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT
be repeated." - RFC 2616