There are a number of ways you can create them, but they depend upon your Web server and application infrastructure.  For example, if you are using Apache for a Web server you can could use mod_rewrite or if you are using Tomcat for a Web server you could use URL rewrite.  Since you mentioned that your application is using the Servlet API, you could write a Servlet interceptor or Servlet filter to process the request before it gets to your application.  The easiest is to use mod_rewrite or URL rewrite.  This is what we did for our Terminology Services project to hide those ugly SRU URL's.

Andy.