Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
>
>> If you can figure out what the difference between an 'institutional
>> repository' and a 'digital library' is, let me know.
>

> I think an institutional repository is a type of digital library.

To ma an institutional repository is a *component* of the digital
library.  A digital library might consist of an repository where digital
objects are persisted, preserved, and managed but it also needs a
presentation layer, tools for collection building, metadata creation,
discovery tools, and scanning/transformation services of objects which
are not born digital, etc.

Typically I've seen digital libraries start by identifying a collection
based on a genre, material collected and stored in a "digital library in
a box" (like DSpace or Greenstone) and then made available through the
UI provided by the all-in-one solutions.

I am working on a model which collects and persists all of the available
digital objects and persists them to a repository, then collections can
be built from any of the material in the repository as well as material
from other institutional repositories.