The thumbnail decision is quite a different one. Photographers sell
photographs, and were upset that Google was making small versions
available. But publishers do not sell covers; they sell books.

The thumbnail rationale, though apparently legally sufficient, is
complex. Showing a cover of a book in a bookstore or library is not—it
falls under the fair use harbor that showing a photo of any product
you sell or rent is fair use. That and/or the harbor of commentary.
There are limits—you clearly can't take covers and turn them into
posters for sale. But the core principle is clear.

I'm going to add something to the effect that we guarantee no legal
use of the covers.

Tim (Not a Lawyer, etc.)

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding