one counter argument that i would make to this is that we consistently
hear from faculty that they absolutely adore browsing the stacks--there
is something that they have learned to love about the experience
regardless of whether they understand that it is made possible by the
work of catalogers assigning call numbers and then using them for
ordering the stacks.

at uw-madison we have a faculty lecture series where we invite
professors to talk about their use of library materials and their
research and one historian said outright, the one thing that is missing
in the online environment is the experience of browsing the stacks. he
seemed to understand that with all the mass digitization efforts, we
could be on the edge of accomplishing it.

that said, i agree that we should do what you say also, just that we
should not throw the baby out w/ the bath water. if faculty somehow
understand that browsing the stacks is a good experience then we can use
it as a metaphor in the online environment. in an unofficial project i
have experimented w/ primitive interface tests using both subject
heading 'more like this' and a link to a stack browse based on a call
number sort:

http://j2ee-dev.library.wisc.edu/sanecat/item.html?resourceId=951506

(please, ignore the sloppy import problems, i just didn't care that much
for the interface test)

as for the original question, this has about a million records and
900,000 w/ item numbers and a simple btree index in the database sorts
at an acceptable speed for a development test.

-sm

Walker, David wrote:
>> a decent UI is probably going to be a bigger job
>
> I've always felt that the call number browse was a really useful option, but the most disastrously implemented feature in most ILS catalog interfaces.
>
> I think the problem is that we're focusing on the task -- browsing the shelf -- as opposed to the *goal*, which is, I think, simply to show users books that are related to the one they are looking at.
>
> If you treat it like that (here are books that are related to this book) and dispense with the notion of call numbers and shelves in the interface (even if what you're doing behind the scenes is in fact a call number browse) then I think you can arrive at a much simpler and straight-forward UI for users.  I would treat it little different than Amazon's recommendations feature, for example.
>
> --Dave
>
> ==================
> David Walker
> Library Web Services Manager
> California State University
> http://xerxes.calstate.edu

Stephen Meyer
Library Application Developer
UW-Madison Libraries
312F Memorial Library
728 State St.
Madison, WI 53706

608-265-2844 (ph)

"Just don't let the human factor fail to be a factor at all."
- Andrew Bird, "Tables and Chairs"