I've done a lot of work with designers over the years, and I wouldn't be
surprised if a number of us work with professional designers from time
to time. It may be possible to get a designer to provide some concepts
as a volunteer, particularly since it might prove to be a great foot in
the door for getting contracts.

Regardless, logos are tricky things to design, and almost always turn
out better when done by a seasoned pro. I would strongly recommend
finding someone to do it professionally. I certainly have people I could
ask. I don't think we are limited to choosing a single designer to
develop concepts, if we use volunteers.

As for process, we'd probably want a committee to create a requirements
document and sort and compile feedback, but use voting to choose
concepts. This would balance the need for the entire community to have a
voice, with the designer's need to get balanced and consistent feedback
in the revision process.

I think a good process would go something like this:

1. Put out an open invitation for interested list members to serve on a
logo design committee. Committee members can expect to make a 1 year
commitment.
2. Committee selects a project manager from members. This person serves
as a point of contact for designers, and makes sure other committee
members are on task.
3. Committee develops a brief requirements document for the logo, and
submits it to the list for feedback.
4. Committee takes community feedback and revises requirements document.
5. Committee openly solicits designers to submit concepts and posts
requirements document. Sets a deadline for submission of concept(s).
6. Put all concepts up for an initial vote by the list.
7. Take top three concecepts from initial vote, and have a runoff vote.
The concept with the most votes is selected.
8. List members are given an opportunity to comment on the submitted
design concept.
9. Committee members review comments from community and reconcile
feedback.
10. Project manager develops feedback document for designer.
11. Designer revises concept.
12. Committee reviews revision for conformance to revision documents,
submits new revision document.
13. Deign is revised again.
14. Possibly one more round of review and revision.
15. Design is finalized.
16. Final artwork is delivered in a industry-standard, vector-based
format, such as EPS.

I would suggest that if we spend money on this, that we provide a
stipend to the designer who's design is selected to help cover the
expense and tediousness of the revision process.

- David

---
David Cloutman <[log in to unmask]>
Electronic Services Librarian