To me, "de-duplication" means throwing out some records as duplicates.
Are we talking about that, or are we talking about what I call "work set
grouping" and others (erroneously in my opinion) call "FRBRization"?

If the latter, I don't think there is any mature open source software
that addresses that yet. Or for that matter, any proprietary
for-purchase software that you could use as a component in your own
tools. Various proprietary software includes a work set grouping feature
in it's "black box" (AquaBrowser, Primo, I believe the VTLS ILS).  But I
don't know of anything available to do it for you in your own tool.

I've been just starting to give some thought to how to accomplish this,
and it's a bit of a tricky problem on several grounds, including
computationally (doing it in a way that performs efficiently). One
choice is whether you group records at the indexing stage, or on-demand
at the retrieval stage. Both have performance implications--we really
don't want to slow down retrieval OR indexing.  Usually if you have the
choice, you put the slow down at indexing since it only happens "once"
in abstract theory. But in fact, with what we do, when indexing that's
already been optmized and does not have this feature can take hours or
even days with some of our corpuses, and when in fact we do re-index
from time to time (including 'incremental' addition to the index of new
and changed records)---we really don't want to slow down indexing either.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer