We have used in the past OCR shop XTR from Vividata under linux
(command-line utility, not API).  It can be nicely scripted under linux
and has given us decent results, despite some quirks, which may have now
been taken care of since our product was purchased in 2003.

It looks like they now offer a version with image-over-text PDF output:
http://vividata.com/ocr_comparison.html

-- Alberto

--
Dr. Alberto Accomazzi                  aaccomazzi(at)cfa harvard edu
Project Manager