----- "Jonathan Rochkind" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I appreciate your attention to this stuff Roy, but I'm afraid that
> doesn't really work either.
>
> I think MOST libraries that use OCLC Worldcat for the bulk of their
> cataloging do NOT in fact contribute "all" cataloging or holdings
> back
> to worldcat.  Many libraries have particular items that for reasons
> of
> institutional policy (which I admit I find byzantine) keep some
> holdings
> out of Worldcat.

For example, in our case, we exclude batches of records accompanying certain ebook collections, as per the vendors' license terms. A misguided practice, but one that exists nonetheless.

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Voice: 778.782.5753 / Fax: 778.782.3023