I agree with this in general - and this was my point about the 'Coverflow' in iTunes, that it allows a variety of sorting methods - although it is still limited.

I think there are perhaps some other factors as well. Shelf-browsing allows users to wander into 'their' part of the library and look at stuff - but I don't think most OPACs have the equivalent. With a bookstore (physically and virtually) we might see genre sections we can browse. This might also work for public libraries? In research libraries we tend to just present the classification without further glossing I think - perhaps this is something we ought to consider online?

The other thing that occurs to me about browsing by class mark is that it presents a 'spectrum' view of a kind. This could be easily lost in the type of 'search and sort' system you suggest (although I still think this is a good idea btw). At the same time I'm a bit reluctant to stop at providing a classification browse, as it seems inherently limited.

I agree with the point about browsing the shelves and exploring the material in more depth are related - which suggests integration with other content-rich services are needed (Google Books, e-books, other providers)

Owen Stephens
Assistant Director: eStrategy and Information Resources
Central Library
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
London