I interviewed at a company a while back that had four developers on
staff that was using the Zend Framework coupled with the Yahoo! UI
library. They seemed happy with their technology stack. I think their
choice was driven mostly by corporate backing and name recognition of
these two platforms. I have not used either personally.

Also take a look at Symfony. I went to a meetup a while back, and was
impressed by how this framework offered a complete technology stack
while retaining modularity, so if you didn't like the default
components, you could easily swap them for something else. This sort of
framework modularization seems to work in the Java world, where a single
application might integrate bits and pieces of Spring, Hibernate,
Struts, etc. Personally, I prefer this paradigm to something like Rails
(or Cake PHP, to put it in a PHP context), where you pretty have to do
it one way - or else. At least that's been my perception playing with
Rails and Cake PHP. Your mileage may vary, however. I don't know where
Zend falls into this spectrum.

- David

---
David Cloutman <[log in to unmask]>