Hello and apologies for duplication. This message is being cross-posted
to a number of lists.

	See below for a reminder of the upcoming 3d Mellon Seminar in
Digital Humanities, on "Software Studies," taking place at UCLA in real
life (RL) and on Entropia, the DLF Second Life (SL) island on December
1st. There's also a reminder of the RL-only lecture on December 2d at
UCLA, on "Understanding Metamedia." We'll be broadcasting a live video
feed of the Seminar into SL, and will project SL onto a screen for the
RL audience.

	If you would like to attend in SL, please rsvp directly to me:

	I'll send you the SLURL (Second Life url), as well as
instructions for viewing the video and adjusting the audio in SL. You
will need an SL avatar in order to participate via SL. Basic SL accounts
are free: www.secondlife.com/ The SL audience is limited to 50.

	In case you're wondering what the topic of "Software Studies"
covers, here's an excerpt from the first reading listed for this Seminar
("Software Takes Command,") authored by the speaker, Lev Manovich:

"Software, or the Engine of Contemporary Societies

In the beginning of the 1990s, the most famous global brands were
the companies that were in the business of producing materials goods
or processing physical matter. Today, however, the lists of
bestrecognized
global brands are topped with the names such as Google,
Yahoo, and Microsoft. (In fact, Google was number one in the world in
2007 in terms of brand recognition.) And, at least in the U.S., the most
widely read newspapers and magazines - New York Times, USA Today,
Business Week, etc. - daily feature news and stories about YouTube,
MySpace, Facebook, Apple, Google, and other IT companies.

What about other media? If you access CNN web site and navigate to
the business section, you will see a market data for just ten companies
and indexes displayed right on the home page.1 Although the list
changes daily, it is always likely to include some of the same IT

1 http://money.cnn.com, accessed January 21, 2008."

See the message below for a link to this and other readings for this
Seminar.

	SL attendees, I look forward to hearing from you!
	Best,
		Esther

Esther Grassian
Information Literacy Outreach Coordinator
UCLA College Library
Box 951450
L.A., CA  90095-1450
Phone: 310-206-4410