I know of no uses other than browser plug-ins. For microformats in
general, browser plugins (or other user-agent behavior--at one point
there was talk of supporting microformats in FF3 without a plugin, but
it didn't make it in) are the most common use case.

I know of no way for you to auto-detect if a user-agent wants to do
something COinS, and I think requiring a user to manually turn it on in
some kind of OL preferences would largely defeat the purpose of it.

So it's a trade-off, at this point. Is possible interference with some
screen-reading user-agents of enough concern to outweigh the potential
utility of COinS?

Either way, as a bunch of us have been saying, we reccommend that you
don't _limit_ your efforts to provide machine-discoverable/usable
representations of your citations to COinS.  I think it is useful, but
not sufficient. But supporting LibX for redirection to my link resolver
to retrieve library services for the citation is a VERY useful use case
to me and my patrons.

Incidentally, unAPI suffers from the same potential problem with some
screen-reading user-agents, being based on the <abbr> tag. Zotero uses
unAPI (as well as COins), but oh well, same thing.

Apparently RDFa does not suffer from the same problems, I've heard. I
don't know enough about RDFa to know for sure, or to know how hard it
would be to implement a useful RDFa solution here. At present, LibX,
Zotero, etc., do not, as far as I know, use RDFa. But that's the future,
is my guess.

There are also other methods of auto-discovery of machine-readable data,
one I think suggested by Ed in this thread, that don't suffer from this
problem--but also won't currently be used by LibX, Zotero, etc.

Jonathan