I agree with this, as well as just using HTTP for it (Status: 300/Conneg).

Still gets a bit tricky when talking about a 'search results' or
'browse' page (rather than a 'resource' page).

Of course, some other metadata options beside JSON would probably
helpful in this case, since it would take some prior knowledge of the
JSON schema to know what you're looking at, otherwise.

-Ross.