Ah, but the transformation from some internal serialized format to iCal
is an added level of complexity in your software, that if you are going
to need iCal yourself eventually, you don't need.

My experience shows me that using standard data formats, even between
modules of your internal architecture, really pays off down the line, in
many ways. Just my advice.  iCal isn't really that complicated.

While there doesn't seem to be an exact standard for iCal in JSON, even
putting iCal in JSON in your own makes-sense way would be preferable to
a custom internal format, in my opinion. Just my opinion of course.

For your original question... I still don't have an answer, except to
say that offering serialized PHP objects on the wire seems like the
wrong solution to me, no matter what.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind