Darrell Eifert wrote:
> There are commercial options from Groovix or Userful, but that pretty
> much defeats the practical goal of lowering IT costs, or the
> ideological goal of moving to free and open-source applications.

I have a hard time considering "free" (as in "not paying for") as
ideological. If linux is a good desktop, the "freeness" is icing on the
cake. (And it's only free as in the purchase price; you still pay in
some way to maintain it.) If you need to purchase apps to make your
library work as it should, then you should budget for that. I think we
need to see "free" and "open source" as two different properties that
MAY intersect but do not necessarily intersect.

kc
(who prefers linux to windows, and is looking forward to being able to
purchase my favorite apps for linux as they become available)

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net