For the DLF Aquifer portal (http://www.dlfaquifer.org/), we have
implemented unAPI as follows.

In the html head there is a link:

<link rel="unapi-server" type="application/xml" title="unAPI"
href="http://www.dlfaquifer.org/unapi" />

which identifies the base URL for the unAPI service, then throughout
various web pages we have abbr tags, such as this:

<abbr class='unapi-id' title='251639'></abbr>

My understanding is that an unAPI processor should take the base URL
from the link and concatenate the title value from the abbr to create
the URL used to retrieve first the list of formats available:

http://www.dlfaquifer.org/unapi?id=251639

And then create another URL to retrieve the specific format of interest,
such as this:

http://www.dlfaquifer.org/unapi?id=251639&format=mods

What Chad has described might also work, but I know that the above does
work with Zotero, at least.

Kind regards,
	Tom

--