On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Ed Summers wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Edward M. Corrado <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I know there was a talk about a code4lib Europe in Portugal before. I'd love
>> to see a European conference, but I am a little torn between making it a
>> separate conference from Code4lib or as a location to host for Code4lib.
>> What do people think?
>
> I think it's premature to worry about it, since there is no proposal
> on the table. And if there were a proposal on the table, why not just
> vote on it and not worry about making a rule about it?

I'll go with law #5 on this one :

 	The library is a growing organism.

Whatever 'we' decide on the matter is a point in time decision, and
doesn't mean that it'd be applicable even a year later -- membership
changes, the world changes, etc.

It seems to me that the reason for limiting the number of meetings is to
keep from diverging or diluting the main conference.  I'm personally of
the opinion that these things getting too large is a problem, as you miss
half of the sessions that you're interested in when there are too many
running concurrently, and limiting the sessions limits the amount of
information exchanged.

I would think that the question should be how to better share the
information to those who aren't able to attend.  I believe there was a
discussion of trying to get someone to sponsor video recording of the
conference, but I don't know how far that went.  If video's too cost
prohibitive, then audio recording combined w/ slide sharing might be
enough.  (and I seem to remember that there was a protocol for syncing
streaming audio and images ... SIML?  something like that ... circa 1999
or so)

I personally would love to see more code4lib related events out there to
make the larger library community aware that it's here. If someone wanted
to propose an ASIS&T pre-conference session for the annual meeting in
November, there's still a week left 'til the deadline;

 	http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM09/am09cfp.html

-Joe