On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Darrell Eifert wrote:

> Hi Folks --
>
> Nicolaie Constantinescu recommended that I contact this list with my
> questions after posting a query to the "Linux in Libraries" group.

[trimmed]

> In the world of Linux and open-source software, how does one go about getting
> a programmer or group of programmers to provide a free solution (with regular
> maintenance and updates) to a pressing need?  Would Canonical (for example)
> be interested in creating the program as a way to popularize Ubuntu with the
> thousands who use library computers every day?  Would anyone on this list be
> interested in spearheading such a project?  Is there a place to float such a
> project before a group of up-and-coming programmers (Google Summer of Code??)
> that would give them bragging rights on a resume?

Usually, it comes to down to a 'build it and they will come' type
situation -- you see what you want, so you start it (either on your own,
or with a team), and put it out there for people to use / comment on / add
to / etc.

So, as you have the vision, I'd suggest you spearhead it yourself -- even
if that doesn't mean programming, but trying to get some programmers
interested in the project while you deal more with requirements analysis.

As for where to find programmers, I'd suggest you try selling the project
on the oss4lib list: