On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 20:29, Rebecca S Guenther <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It is interesting though that a study of different metadata
> formats at Los Alamos National Labs a few years ago
> concluded that MARCXML was the richest and most robust.
> http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september06/goldsmith/09goldsmith.html

Umm, I just have to add that all those compared won't make it to my
top 10 list of good formats, so, er, comparing library formats against
each other is a bit like comparing all the wonderful juicy fruit in
the world where your selection is limited to what can grow in Alaska.

It still amazes me that RDF and / or DC hidden in SRDF or Topic Maps
haven't gotten any traction when it seriously matches what you want.

> We are also working on modeling MODS as RDF-- some
> work has already been done on this.

That is good news, albeit a little late and certainly a little slow.
But I hear good things about Talis moving into this arena, and
hopefully they can pull a few other vendors with them. I guess the
first thing that is needed is a basic MARC / RDF vocabulary we can all
participate in and extend, and then cross-pollinate vocabularies as we
move away from AACR2 to more RDA / FRBR friendly stuff (although, me
personally, I would jump way ahead of RDA, but that's not going to
happen).

> In terms of MARC, we are planning for its evolution and streamlining to
> get rid of some of its problems and plan for a future where the transition
> to new cataloging rules will work well with existing records and cataloging
> infrastructure.

Are you talking about RDA here? And when will these changes happen, in
what form, how do you build momentum and expertize, etc.?

> Whatever the format of the future is, the transition will need
> to be evolutionary because of the billions of records that are
> out there and the need to satisfy a lot of the user tasks
> required of library (and other) metadata.

I agree fully, although I'd stress the poor infra-structure as a
reason more than records available (they can always be converted into
something else, but you can't easily change how systems require
MARC21)

> It is also worth noting that despite some calls for a MARC
> replacement, we have a number of national libraries
> throughout the world that are abandoning their national
> formats and just now adopting MARC 21. They also need
> to be considered in this transition.

I find it a bit scary it's taken this long, but I certainly welcome
the change as it makes it easier to move from one format to the other
once we all agree on a fundamental platform. But I still don't think a
clear direction forward is set. Any docos you can point to about the
future direction of LoC approved meta data exchange?

regards,

Alex
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps