Hi there,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 15:55, Rebecca S Guenther <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Yes, better late than never (we're a small office and stretched thin).

You're not *that* small, no? :)

> Also we want to explore MARC/RDF. We also have to keep in mind
> that MARC is also used by non-AACR2 users (and when RDA is
> implemented non-RDA users).

Shouldn't the library world slowly work towards a common set of rules,
backed by technology, to make it easier for us all to move forward
with less pain?

> As a starting point in exploring semantic web types
> of technologies we are establishing a registry for controlled values
> used in various standards-- MARC, MODS, PREMIS. See the text at:
> http://id.loc.gov

Ah, I like! This is very close to the concept in Topic Maps of
Published Subject Indicators. Could the identifiers within have a
certain degree of persistance and resolvability? If so, both the
SemWeb and TM communities could use this out of the box. I also think
the DC RDA working-group has something similar. Karen? And should you
work together?

> In the meantime we have a prototype at:
> http://www.loc.gov:8081/standards/registry/lists.html

Can't make much work there. Must be in alpha. :) But I like this
direction. If you now can get the vendors on-board, or better, make
more SemWeb systems yourselves, and you're a *huge* step forward. I'm
*very* excited to see this coming from LoC.

Regards,

Alex
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps