Legal? Yes, as far as I know. How well resolvers will handle them may
be another question.

I think the openurl is designed to be extensible in terms of metadata
by use of community profiles. In theory this seems fine, but I'm not
sure how easy it has been to get new profiles accepted in practice.

Owen