My experience in calling was that the booking person said (just
minutes ago) that there are rooms available but that rooms set aside
for the conference rate have all been sold out. If I want to pay $219
a night, they'll reserve a room for me. Otherwise, nope. They wouldn't
negotiate the rate with me.

I was going to be sharing the room with someone, so two of us are
currently out of luck. If I need to book with another hotel, I  need
to know pretty soon.

Jean: can you check on this?

Tom Keays