Anyone know of any good existing controlled vocabulary for 'format' or
'carrier' for multimedia materials?  I'm thinking of things like "CD",
"DVD", "digital", etc.

The closest I can get is from RDA at
http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/46.html (thanks
Karen and Diane), but it seems _really_ insufficient. As far as I can
tell "audio disc" is used for both a CD and a vinyl disc, and there's
nothing available there for "DVD" at all.   Or for "digital". Although
I'm not sure what I mean by "digital", I guess CD and DVD are both
digital, but I was thinking of something to identify a digital file on a
computer network free of particular carrier. I guess that wouldn't be in
a carrier vocabulary at all, after all, that would be sort of a null
carrier. Phew, this stuff does get complicated quick. Which I guess is
why nobody's worked out a good one yet.

Too bad RDA's is so _far_ from good though. Any others anyone knows about?

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer