Hi Phil,

I was just at a PKP workshop in Sydney in December, and the same
developers from the Australian National University who developed the
OJS METS export plugin unveiled a SWORD 1.2 deposit plugin that works
with both Fedora and DSpace:

<http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3877>

Apparently there are some issues with the 1.2 implementation for
DSpace in particular, but they did demo a live instance of exporting
to both repositories directly from OJS and it was quite impressive.

I'm not sure if this matches the workflow requirements that you have,
but I'd suggest having a look, and if it needs any further development/
refinement, let us and the ANU group know, and we'll see what needs to
be done.

Hope this helps,
MJ

PS. If you're interested in the full presentation that Scott and Leo
gave, it's available along with the others here, right at the bottom:
<http://www.apsr.edu.au/open_access_publishing/presentations.html>