Folk,

A while back Karen Schneider raised the issue of virtual lightning
talks [1]. We at Brown discussed the idea in one of our planning
meetings, but felt that trying this at the conference would be teasing
the gods of guaranteed-point-to-point-internet-access far too much.

Shortly thereafter there was a great discussion sparked by Karen Coyle
that started out focusing on COinS [2]. It then took a turn with a
comment by Gabriel Farrell about unAPI [3]. I had always wanted to
educate myself about unAPI, and this thread did that.

The proximity of these two threads made me think it would be cool to
see a 'blog-in-10-minutes' type video on unAPI, or on any number of
code4lib-related issues. "But there are already good blog-posts out
there!" Yes, there are. But anyone who's seen a (good) blog-in-10-
minutes video knows how inspiring these things can be. [4]

So... THE IDEA...

Here's a call to find existing internet videos on code4lib type issues
-- or CREATE YOUR OWN. They can range from 'blog-in-10-minutes' type
tutorials to pure talking-head rants about how SOA will save the
world. At some point we'll invite you to submit your favorites (can be
your own or others'), and during one of the two open 20-minute slots
we have in the conference, we'll show one or two depending on time.

One wildly artificial rule for this particular exercise (aside from
the requirement that it be code4lib-related): length under 10 minutes.

Admittedly this leaves out amazing content. But full throttle forward.
This can be a way for folk who can't attend the conference to
contribute; it can expand the great existing code4lib-tagged video
content (mostly at videos.google.com); and it'll help disseminate to a
wider community information and ideas our community finds compelling.

-Birkin

---
Birkin James Diana
Programmer, Integrated Technology Services
Brown University Library

[1] <http:[log in to unmask]>
[2] <http:[log in to unmask]>
[3] <http:[log in to unmask]>