Thanks, that's interesting too.

One of the most useful lists I've found is actually in ONIX, Code List 7.

http://www.editeur.org/codelists.html

Although Code List 7 actually needs to be supplemented by Code List 78
if you want full detail. (Like whether a VHS tape is NTSC or PAL; or the
fact that a printed book is in Braille (US or UK? Can specify either,
hooray.)).

The ONIX list is a pretty good and complete list of physical formats for
published items, and appears to be free, and is available in XML as well.

It does become an awfully LONG list.  And is still not entirely
intellectually consistent---the article Diane pointed to in D-Lib is the
result of trying to harmonize this with library practices in an
intellectually consistent way, but it becomes something so abstract that
it's kind of hard to deal with, and also leaves many vocabularies
unspecified.  I think a more or less flat list with specified
vocabulary, even if not entirely intellectually consistent, that
corresponds to the universe of actually existing published items, is
probably more useful.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind