Ed Summers wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Walker, David <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Some of us can barely afford to get to the east coast of the United States, let alone Europe.  Not that you have to cater to us poor state university folk, or anything. ;-)
>>

> There are university folk in the Netherlands too right?

Definitely.  I'm currently working on a project in collaboration with
the FAO and an international agriculture organization located at
Wagningen University (an hour or so from Amsterdam) that is not all that
dissimilar from some of the activities at Code4Lib.  At some point this
year there will be a face-to-face meeting of those involved in the
initiative (currently 7 of us, on four continents) so there would a
remote possibility I could attend a European Code4Lib only because my
travel would be funded by FAO.

It's not just the smaller state universities that are being impacted by
the economy.  I've essentially been limited to one business travel trip
this year funded by our travel budget (at that's going to be Code4Lib in
Providence).  I'm even on the planning commitee for a conference in
March that I won't be attending due to budget cuts.  I was on a planning
commitee conference call about an hour ago for that conference and our
registered attendees number are less than half of what they were last
year six weeks prior to the conference.