I appreciate Jonathan sounding out the arguments against the proposed form
of the award, and offering some alternatives.  In short, I think I agree
with him.

I was at Karen's "OSS Metrics" breakout session, and had a lot of
reservations about the "output" of the session, even though the discussion
there was interesting and well-intentioned.  It comes down to the two
decision-making processes: the internal c4l one for making the award and the
external one(s) being influenced by it.

We were listing criteria one might use to evaluate a given project.  And it
was a good enough list of issues, but I kept thinking that it was bound to
fail if it were a scorecard to be used *comparatively* between otherwise
heterogeneous projects on different platforms, in different environments,
with different purposes, etc.  I wasn't even confident of our ability to
review one individual criteria like "security" for a given project, let
alone amongst all projects.  For the amount of work and expertise it would
take to evaluate that honestly, we could be contributing *fixes* to even the
"lesser" projects.

But I'll put aside the question of how accurately we could pick amongst
totally diverse projects.  Pretend we could.  I don't think we could
communicate the objective context to the external decision makers who would
consider themselves informed by the mere fact of the award.

The Journal featuring a project has none of these problems, because it can
maintain context.  Like "Is this project useful to archivists in major
institutions?" or "Is this OSS project a good alternative to a different
proprietary software X?"

I also like the role of code4lib being more of a contributer and less of an
arbiter.  If the goal is to benefit the cool projects, keep the money, show
me the code.

--Joe Atzberger,
LibLime