In fairness to the breakout session -- and to the issue of measurement in
general -- the point of the session wasn't to create some sort of magic
omnibus checklist (though the conversation kept drifting in that direction
and I kept pulling it back). In fact, if you look at the notes for the
breakout session, they are very reasonable questions to ask about any
software, open source or otherwise. Even if you look at one software program
and no other, they are still very sensible questions to ask, and I wish
people asked them more often. The metrics on that list certainly didn't come
out of a vacuum.

Having said that, I agree with Joe about his reservations with scorecards in
general, and I agree with Jonathan about associating the loose entity of
"Code4Lib" with an award that broad. I also worry about an award in the
context of such a small development community.

I could see something like "new app with the most potential for Z" or "most
interesting new floomajabbie for resolving the issue of X."