Cloutman, David wrote:
> I'm open to seeing new approaches to the ILS in general. A related
> question I had the other day, speaking of MARC, is what would an
> alternative bibliographic data format look like if it was designed with
> the intent for opening access to the data our ILS systems to developers
> in a more informal manner? I was thinking of an XML format that a
> developer could work with without formal training,

Well, speaking of 'without formal training' -- I posted this to the Open
Library technology list, but using the OL, which is triple-based and
open access, I was able to create a simple demo Pipe of how you could
determine the earliest date of publication of a book (with an interest
in looking at potential copyright status). Caveat is that the API I'm is
still pretty stubby, so it only retrieves on exact title (this will be
fixed sometime in the future).

The pipe is here:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=216efa8c3b04764ca77ad181b1cc66e4

kc