The TEI format does a decent job of representing  bibliographic
information. The TEI approach is to treat all instances of bibliographic
reference as similarly as possible. So the title page of a work, the
reference markers in the text and the references at the end of the work
are all described in the same conceptual framework.

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/html/CO.html#COBI

The TEI is modular, so you can declare whether you're commingling
bibliographic tags with part-of-speech, manuscript description and other
kinds of tags.

cheers
stuart

--