Jonathan Rochkind writes:
 > There are trade-offs.  I think a lot of that TAG stuff privileges
 > the theoretically pure over the on the ground practicalities.
 > They've got a great fantasy in their heads of what the semantic web
 > _could_ be, and I agree it's theoretically sound and _could_ be;
 > but you've got to make it convenient and cheap if you actually want
 > it to happen for real, sometimes sacrificing theoretical purity.
 > And THAT'S one important lesson of the success of the WWW.

Very true and very important.  I've seen this stated most succinctly
by Clay Shirky:

"You cannot simultaneously have mass adoption and rigor."

I hope one day I can come up with eight words as pithy as that.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <[log in to unmask]>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Good craftsmanship may not be art, but good art incorporates
	 good craftsmanship" -- Jane MacDonald.