On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:34, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The difference between URIs and URLs?  I don't believe that "URL" is something that exists any more in any standard, it's all URIs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure it exists: URLs are a subset of URIs. URLs are locators as
opposed to "just" identifiers (which is an important distinction, much
used in SemWeb lingo), where URLs are closer to the "protocol like"
things Ray describe (or so I think).

> I don't entirely agree with either dogmatic side here, but I do think that we've arrived at an
> awfully confusing (for developers) environment.

But what about it is confusing (apart from us having this discussion
:) ? Is it that we have IDs that happens to *also* resolve? And why is
that confusing?

> Re-reading the various semantic web TAG position papers people keep
> referencing, I actually don't entirely agree with all of their principles in practice.

Well, let me just say that there's more to SemWeb than what comes out of W3C. :)

Kind regards,

Alex
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps