On Fri, 8 May 2009, Joe Atzberger wrote:

> Google provided the barcode-recognition line-interpolation software as open
> source for Android developers to build on. That explains why I have about 4
> barcode-scanning apps on the G1.
>
> Note that most common cellphone camera's haven't advanced enough to get
> reliable resolution for barcodes, in particular the up-close macro-like
> distances you would use a scanner at.  My old nokia, despite the 3 MP
> camera, couldn't get focus up close.

At ASIS&T two years ago, one of the folks from Microsoft Research was
handing out little lenses to put over your cellphone camera to change the
focal length so it'd work for scanning barcodes.

(I'm only interested in this sort of thing as I deal with the Friends of
the Library book sale, and I'd love to know if something actually has
significant value and would be worth trying to sell through alternate
means ... and I'm too cheap to shell out for one of the services where
they modify your cell phone and you have to pay an ongoing service fee)

-Joe