[log in to unmask] wrote:

> archive.org scans typically include a color card target
> image near the back (or front) of the book, e.g.

That's great.  But where do you buy these target cards?  And are
they useful for testing small compact cameras?  An important
difference between the bkrpr.org (book ripper) and the Scribe is
that cheap cameras with cheap lenses and uneven lighting are used.
That means we need to calibrate (or test) the resolution and
colors in different corners of the image.  With the Scribe, you
can assume that these are even across the whole image.

My standard Ubuntu and Firefox failed to view the Jpeg-2000 image.

>   1 8x8x5' scribe structure
>   2 Canon EOS 5Ds

These are design decisions from 2003 or so. Today you would at
least use the Digital Rebel XSi (EOS 450D) which gives 12
megapixels at a fraction of the price of the EOS 5D.

I also think (?) the Scribe uses a 100 mm lens, which puts the
camera at more than 1 meter away from the glass.  A 50 mm lens
would cut that distance (and the size of the whole machine) in
half.

But all such design revisions only bring us to 2007; they fall
flat compared to the 2009 book ripper's radical use of the
PowerShot A590 compact camera, mounted 12 inches away from the
book, all inside a single plexiglass cube.

> we scan over 1,000 books a day with about 100 scribes like this.

Are any of these in Europe?  Is there a plan to convince European
libraries to join the Internet Archive's system?

--
  Lars Aronsson ([log in to unmask])
  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/