The small academic library where I process serials is asking this
question as well.  We are pinched for space, and under pressure to
discard underutilized old hard copies of journals.  The difficulty in
quantifying and planning to manage value/article or value/character is
that patterns of historical article use vary so widely and
subscription costs are on such an exponential growth trajectory.
Sorry to comiserate more than help...

--
Matt Amory
(917) 771-4157