They're also tightened up the API in various ways, and renamed it the
"Amazon.com Product Advertising API." Although I know of no case when
Amazon has shut down a library, it would be hard for any to claim
their site had "as their principal purpose advertising and marketing
the Amazon Site and driving sales of products and services on the
Amazon Site."

I think it's a terrible mistake for them. Their marginal cost is zero;
they don't need to do this. Data openness was a key factor in Amazon's
rise. And that was when thee were no other options. With viable other
options just emerging—Open Library, Google, at least—now is hardly the
time to make it less attractive.

Tim

--
Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding