Ross Singer wrote:

>> For vCard there is an RDF namespace and a (not very nice) XML
>> namespace: http://www.w3.org/2001/vcard-rdf/3.0#
>> vcard-temp (see http://xmpp.org/registrar/namespaces.html)
>
> This is vCard as RDF, not vCard the format (which is text based). It
> would be the equivalent of saying, "here's an hCard, it's the same
> thing, right?" although the reason I may be requesting a vCard in its
> native format is because I have a vCard parser or an application that
> consumes them (Exchange, for example).

For vCard native there is a mime type, so you should identify the format
with a mime type instead of an XML or RDF namespace:

text/x-vcard  or as URI (if you need one):
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/x-vcard

Because unAPI relies on mime types, you can already identify native
vCard with it:

<format name="irrelevant" type="text/x-vcard" docs="irrelevant" />

But in unAPI there is no standard way to identify vCard in RDF although
there is an official RDF namespace. That's why people start to create
their own identifiers. For an application that does not know about this
library-community-subgroup-private-identifiers, there is only:

<format name="foo" type="application/rdf+xml" docs="foodoc" />
<format name="foo" type="text/n3" docs="foodoc" />

Who knows that "foo" and "foodoc" refer to vCard in RDF?

>> That depends whether you want to be taken serious outside the library
>> community and target at the web as a whole or not.
>
> My point is that there's a step before that, possibly, where the
> "theory" behind unAPI, Jangle, whatever, is tested to even see if it's
> going in the right direction before writing it up formally as an RFC.

Ok. I think that unAPI, Jangle, whatever are going in the right
direction - so let's proceed!

Cheers
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany