I agree with Ross wholeheartedly. Particularly in the use of an RDF based mechanism to describe, and then have systems act on, the semantics of these uniquely identified objects. Semantics (as in Web) has been exercising my thoughts recently and the problems we have here are writ large over all the SW people are trying to achieve. Perhaps we can help...

Peter