That is right.
In addition, for certain printing (gold seal), digital camera delivers better result than scanners.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rochkind
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 2:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Recommend book scanner?

Yeah, I don't think people use cameras instead of flatbed scanners
because they produce superior results, or are cheaper: They use them
because they're _faster_ for large-scale digitization, and also make it
possible to capture pages from rare/fragile materials with less damage
to the materials. (Flatbeds are not good on bindings, if you want to get
a good image).

If these things don't apply, is there any reason not to use a flatbed
scanner? Not that I know of?

Jonathan