"On the other hand, there are projects like bkrpr [2] and [3],
home-brew scanning stations build for marginally more than the cost of
a pair of $100 cameras."

Cameras around $100 dollars are very low quality. You could get no where
near the dpi recommended for materials that need to be OCRed. The quality of
images from cameras would be not only low, but the OCR (even with the best
software) would probably have many errors. For someone scanning items at
home this might be ok, but for archival quality, I would not recommend
cameras. If you are grant funded and the grant provider requires a certain
level of quality, you need to make sure the scanning mechanism you use can
scan at that quality.